A 501(c)3 organization, the World Environment Center is an independent, global, non-profit, non-advocacy organization that advances sustainable development through the business practices of member companies and in partnership with governments, multi-lateral organizations, non-governmental organizations, universities and other stakeholders.
WEC creates sustainable business solutions through individual projects in emerging markets; convenes leadership roundtables to shape strategic thinking across a range of sustainability topics; and honors industry excellence through the annual awarding of its Gold Medal Award.
WEC Mission and Value Proposition
WEC’s mission is to:
- Promote business and societal value by advancing solutions to sustainable development-related problems;
- Foster leading edge ideas about economic development, environmental protection and social responsibility through roundtables and other forums that engage the leadership of a diverse number of organizations; and
- Recognize performance excellence by companies that advance sustainable development.
WEC’s value proposition focuses on:
- Using leadership as a criterion for decision making by: recruiting as members companies that are leaders in sustainable development implementation; developing strategic initiatives that create unique value for business and society; and differentiating WEC as a unique global organization to advance the interests of civil society.
- Being business-relevant. WEC’s business model is unique in its “direct, on-the-ground” application of sustainable development strategies and practices in developed and emerging markets. It convenes customers and suppliers to solve problems, helps integrate sustainable development into business operations and assesses business relevant strategies and processes across multiple sectors.
- Behaving globally. WEC addresses issues from a global perspective that demonstrates connectivity among member companies and WEC partners and stakeholders.
- Building learning and competency. Through its focus on emerging issues, core competencies and problem solving, WEC advances learning and builds competencies among member companies and other organizations participating in its various activities.
Board of Directors
WEC’s Board of Directors consists of senior sustainable development leaders within selected member companies and independent Board members chosen for their status as global leaders representing a diverse number of organizations. See board members here.
Operations & Staff
WEC is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and maintains regional offices and capabilities in Asia, Europe and Latin America. See operations and staff here.
World Environment Center
1730 M St, NW.
Washington, DC, 20036
WEC European Office
World Environment Center Europe e.V.
81241 Munich, Germany
WEC Latin America Office
World Environment Center
Calle Jucuarán #28-A Bosques de Santa Elena II
La Libertad, El Salvador