About the World Environment Center
A 501(c)3 organization, the World Environment Center is an independent, global, nonprofit, non-advocacy organization that advances sustainable development through the business practices of member companies and in partnership with governments, multilateral organizations, nongovernmental organizations, universities, and other stakeholders.
WEC creates sustainable business solutions through individual projects in emerging markets, convenes leadership roundtables to shape strategic thinking across a range of sustainability topics, and honors industry excellence through the annual awarding of our Gold Medal Award.
Our mission and value proposition
WEC’s mission is to:
- Promote business and societal value by advancing solutions to sustainable development-related problems;
- Foster bleeding-edge ideas about economic development, environmental protection, and social responsibility through roundtables and other forums that engage the leadership of a diverse number of organizations; and
- Recognize performance excellence by companies that advance sustainable development.
WEC’s value proposition focuses on:
- Using leadership as a criterion for decision-making – We aim to achieve this through the recruitment of member companies that are leaders in sustainable development implementation, by developing strategic initiatives that create unique value for business and society, and by differentiating WEC as a unique global organization to advance the interests of civil society.
- Being business-relevant – WEC’s business model is unique in its “direct, on-the-ground” application of sustainable development strategies and practices in developed and emerging markets. It convenes customers and suppliers to solve problems, helps integrate sustainable development into business operations, and assesses business-relevant strategies and processes across multiple sectors.
- Behaving globally – WEC addresses issues from a global perspective that demonstrates connectivity among member companies and WEC partners and stakeholders.
- Building learning and competency – Through our focus on emerging issues, core competencies, and problem-solving, WEC advances learning and builds competencies among member companies and other organizations participating in its various activities.